WILKESBORO FIRE DEPARTMENT CAMPGROUND
The Wilkesboro Wastewater Treatment Plant becomes one of several host campgrounds for Merlefest™ and the Carolina in the Fall™ music festivals. The camping is sponsored by the Wilkesboro Fire Department. It was started in 1998 and the campers that stay with us have dubbed it “Sewerfest”.
Our campground is located at 700 Snyder Street, Wilkesboro, NC, which is about 1 mile east of downtown Wilkesboro and 2 miles east of Wilkes Community College. We have 69 acres of land and use the majority of it for camping. The Town of Wilkesboro Wastewater Treatment Plant is also located on the same property but we have never had any complaints about any odors in the 15 years of hosting campers for Merlefest. Most visitors say the area looks more like a park rather than a sewer plant.
- We have approximately 500 tent sites and 150 RV sites that have electric (30 amp) hookups; however, each RV Sites does not have water or sewer hookups. We also have a dumpsite that you can empty your holding tanks before hitting the road. Upon arriving, there are several yard hydrants around the grounds for your convenience to fill your water storage or other containers.
- We are famous for our late night music pickin’ sessions of our guests. You have music to enjoy at the festival itself and at the campgrounds. Be sure to bring your instruments and join in the fun!
- The WFD campground also offers two heated & air conditioned shower houses that have all the hot water anyone could ask for.
- We offer free shuttle service to and from the festival. A local church provides the shuttle buses and the drivers greatly appreciate any donations that are received. These proceeds are put in a fund by the church for their Youth Fund. Shuttles run hourly to and from the festival locations.
- We have ice for your coolers.
- We offer firewood to all campers.
- There is food and drinks for sale during the festival. Fresh biscuits with country ham, sausage and tenderloin are available to purchase in the mornings. We sell Pepsi products.
There have been people from almost all 50 states to stay with us. We almost always have people from Finland, France, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Japan, England, Canada and Australia. The different range of people we have here at the campground come from all walks of life including firemen, service technicians, doctors, lawyers, business owners, insurance adjusters, law enforcement, college students to retired couples and any walk in between. We also have some visitors that devote their lives to following music festivals all over the country.
We accept US Currency only by check or money order – no foreign currency will be accepted. All proceeds go to the Wilkesboro Fire Department as a fundraiser for the Retired Firemen’s Fund.
Any questions, please email or call telephone number at top or bottom of the page.
Sewerfest email 336-667-2391