Town of Wilkesboro
Privacy practices regarding information collected from the Town of Wilkesboro website.
Last updated 01/11/2021
This policy applies only to the official Town of Wilkesboro web site. When you follow a link to another web site, even the site of another governmental agency, you are subject to the privacy policies of that particular web site. You should check the privacy policies of each of these other sites if you have questions about how they handle personally identifiable information.
Notice Specific to Documents Available on this Website
The Town of Wilkesboro government make no representations about the suitability of the information contained in the documents and related graphics published on this server. All such documents and related graphics are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. The Town of Wilkesboro hereby disclaim all warranties and conditions regarding this information, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. In no event shall the Town of Wilkesboro government be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tortuous action, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of information available from this server.
The documents and related graphics published on this server could include technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. Changes are periodically added to the information herein. The Town may make improvements and/or changes in the document(s) and/or the program(s) described herein at any time.
Automatic Collection of Certain Information
No personally identifiable information is collected from visitors who simply browse this site or who download information from it. While our web servers maintain logs of user activity to help us manage the web site, information stored in these logs or in cookies does not identify you personally. The logs store things such as the domain name and IP address from which you accessed our site, the type of browser and operating system you used, the date and time you accessed our site, the pages visited, and the address of the site that you linked to us from (if you linked to our web site from another web site).
We use this information to learn how many visitors we have, where they are coming from, which parts of our web site are of most interest to visitors, and other facts that will help us improve the web site and the services we offer.
If You Send Us Personal Information
Visitors who request services through this site may be required to furnish additional information, so we may provide the service requested. The additional information collected will be no more specific than if the visitor were requesting the service by any other means, such as telephone or by an in-person visit to a Town facility. If you participate in a survey, send us an email, or submit an online form, your email address and the other information you volunteered will be collected. We may share this information with other governmental agencies or organizations to provide the help you are requesting. We may also use that information to help assess user needs and analyze trends.
If you use this web site for electronic commerce, a third-party web site collects, processes, and may discloses your name, address, and payment information (if applicable) to the extent necessary to complete the online transaction and for record-keeping activities such as billing, permits, and licenses.
Some information that you submit to us through this web site may be protected by encryption technology, whereas other information may not. Unless a particular web page on this site indicates that encryption technology is being used, you should not assume that information you submit through that web page will be secure. If you submit information to our server through a web page containing visible indicators of active encryption technology, we will take reasonable precautions to safeguard the confidentiality of such information. However, no web site can protect itself against all eventualities nor be 100% secure. The Town will not be held liable for any injury or damages of any sort, kind or description caused by and/or in any way related to the disclosure of your information, whether by security breach, accident, inadvertence, or any other act resulting in disclosure.
The Town of Wilkesboro is governed by the North Carolina public records laws. This means that the information we receive online will be disclosed to any person making a public records request, unless the record is exempted from disclosure. Only very narrowly defined types of information (such as electronic payment information and Social Security numbers) are exempt from disclosure as public records. If you have questions about the North Carolina public records laws, refer to NC General Statutes Chapter 132. For purposes of determining whether information is a public record, information sent to us through this web site is treated the same as information sent to us by mail or delivered to us in person.
All electronic communications with the Town of Wilkesboro are subject to the requirements of North Carolina public records law. While it is the policy of the Town of Wilkesboro to not provide copies of electronic mail lists of individual subscribers, state law classifies these lists as public records and the Town must make them available for inspection upon request.
No applications on this web site specifically solicit information from minors or seek to determine whether the visitor is a minor. Consequently, visitors should be aware that the collection of personal information requested from or volunteered by children online or by email will be treated in the same manner as information given by an adult. Among other things, this means that it will be public record and therefore will be subject to public access. We ask that parents’ guide their children when children are asked to provide personal information online. We ask that children get their parents' permission before providing any information to us.
Social Media Public Comments
The Town of Wilkesboro uses social media to interact with residents, businesses and visitors about public issues and events. Please submit your questions, comments and concerns. Please note this is a moderated online discussion site and subject to North Carolina Public Records Laws, and e-discovery laws and policies.
The Town reserves the right to hide or delete unacceptable submissions. The following are examples of unacceptable social networking content and comments. The list is not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Profane or obscene language or content;
- Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetrates discrimination based on race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status with regards to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation;
- Solicitations of commerce;
- Infringement on copyrights or trademarks;
- Disparaging, derogatory or statements, remarks, characterizations, postings, photographs caricatures or illustrations;
- Education discrimination;
- Confidential or non-public information.
Please note that the opinions and comments expressed on this social media site do not reflect the opinions and positions of the Town of Wilkesboro government, its officers or employees. If you have any questions concerning the operation moderated discussions, please contact the Town of Wilkesboro Communications Department at 336-838-3951.
Employees of the Town of Wilkesboro communicate via social media websites. Consequently, any communication via the social media site (whether by a Town employee or the general public) is subject to monitoring and disclosure to third-parties. Relevant Town of Wilkesboro and North Carolina Public records retention schedules apply to social networking content.
Notices Regarding Official Town Seals and Email Addresses
Logos, all original graphics and the Town Seal are protected and may not be used in any form whatsoever without the expressed written consent of the Town Manager, Assistant Town Manager or Town Clerk. A written record containing copies of any expressed written consent for use of the logos, original graphics and town seal, will be kept in the Town Clerk’s Office. Any use of those items except as expressly authorized, shall be unlawful and may subject the user to criminal prosecution and/or civil liability.
All Town email addresses whether visibly published as a contact address or programmed into the functionality of this site as the recipient of a web form, are provided and maintained by the Town of Wilkesboro solely for the official use of the employees, departments and or agencies of the Town of Wilkesboro and may not be bought, sold, leased or used for any non-official government communication. Any other use is strictly prohibited and may subject the user to either criminal prosecution and/or civil liability.
Policy regarding links to other sites, or Website Linking Policy
We provide links to other organizations through this website when doing so serves a public purpose of the Town of Wilkesboro. We are not responsible for the availability of these outside resources, nor do we endorse them. We are not responsible for any of the content or advertising on sites we link to, or for any products, services, information or other materials that you may obtain through such sites.
Once you leave the Town of Wilkesboro’s website and link to an external site, the Town of Wilkesboro’s website’s policies no longer apply, and you will be subject to the new site's policies. Any concerns regarding an external link for a specific site should be directed to email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide the web address of the site in question.
The Town of Wilkesboro will provide governmental and other public services to and for the benefit of the local community. Our policy is to exclude from this website all commercial advertising, links and promotional material which do not serve or promote a public purpose of the Town or County.
The following guidelines are used in determining when advertisements or links will be allowed for inclusion in this website.
- Government agencies
- Academic institutions
- Public-private partnerships
- Grant funders
Example: Town capital project partners including engineers/granting agencies & sponsorships
- Professional organizations
Example: dues are normally paid to these organizations
- Community-based non-profit organizations
- Cultural organizations that promote their organization for the greater good of Wilkes county such as:
- military veteran programs,
- age-based (such as Millennials or Seniors groups),
- multi-cultural / ethnic (such as American Indian pow wow or African-American programs)
- visual arts (such as arts council or art gallery),
- performing arts (such as plays, film etc.)
- music and dance (such as high school marching bands, musical performances, or square or contra dances)
- literary arts (such as poetry reading or contest)
- food/gardening/food prep (such as master gardeners, farming or canning instruction or farmer’s markets)
- cultural (such as quilting)
- history (such as museum, trail or historical site),
- science (such as 4-H and boy or girl scouts),
- health and wellness (such as stress management, addiction support, etc.),
- health group (such as diabetes or PTSD) or
- recreation (such as Yadkin River Greenway, or specific sport such as yoga, runners, cycling, archery, etc.)
- Vehicles club/shows
- Public facilities and other enterprises where the town has a financial interest. We may allow advertising, links, logos and promotional materials on this website.
Example: Heritage Square at Wilkes Heritage Museum
- Commercial enterprises with naming rights, who serve as sponsors of Town-owned propertyand/or facilities, such as:
Carolina West Wireless Community Commons and Wilkes Communications Pavilion
- Commercial enterprises that operate on Town-owned property, where such links and materials will enhance the department's customer service.
Example: concession stands and food trucks at town-owned property
- Public or non-profit facilities that fulfill a public purpose of the Town such as promoting the arts, sciences, cultural studies or recreation. We may also allow links, advertising and promotion from commercial enterprises that market tickets or other means of access to a town-owned facility or event or that foster participation in programs and/or events
Example: Brushy Mountain Cyclist Club building and maintaining Cub Creek Bike Trails https://wilkesboronc.org/mtn-bike-trails
- Commercial enterprises that the Town, in its discretion, has determined provide a public benefit. The Town of Wilkesboro web pages examples:
- Other utility providers web page, https://wilkesboronc.org/for-residents/other-providers
- Links on departmental pages https://wilkesboronc.org/water-filtration-plant
- I want to … Menu then Contact… Menu:
- Help by Topic https://wilkesboronc.org/help-by-topic or
- Wilkes Resource Guide http://www.wilkesboronorthcarolina.com/images/documents/TownGovt/Community-Resource-Guide-Updated-12-07-16.pdf
- Outsourced government service providers. Some town departments contract with private firms to provide services that would otherwise be provided by the city. Departments may link to outsourced service providers when the department determines that its mission would be best served by providing citizens direct access to the Outsourced Service Provider.
Example: Code Enforcement, etc.
Sponsor recognition messages and links may be posted only during the sponsored event, during a limited promotional period prior to the event and for a short time after the event. Capital projects partner links are at the discretion of the Town Manager.
No links to sites containing political endorsements. To avoid the appearance of town endorsement of political content, links shall not be made to sites that are associated with, sponsored by or serving a candidate for elected office, any political party or organization supporting or seeking to defeat any candidate for elective office or ballot proposal. One exception: to this rule is the Board of Elections. As a result of the unique nature of its mission, the Board of Elections may link to political party web sites, if it allows links for all political parties that request them.
Link maintenance. Departments shall routinely check links on their websites to ensure they are functional and contain no material that violates this policy. The department Heads are responsible for ensuring that all material posted on their department web pages is accurate and in compliance with this policy and the city’s website design guidelines. If not, please contact the web site administrator by email at email@example.com.
Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. "No person in the United States shall, on the ground of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance." Town's Title VI policy.
Disclaimer. Linked websites are not under the control of, nor maintained by the city. The city is neither responsible for the content of linked websites, nor for any internal links that the linked web sites may contain. Inclusion of linked websites does not constitute an endorsement or promotion by the city of any persons or organizations sponsoring the displayed websites.